After brewing coffee, coffee grounds are often tossed into the trash bin. Some people regard the group of squeezed coffee beans as worthless items. If they only knew the alternative uses for coffee grounds, they would probably store the used beans in their cupboards.
Coffee grounds have many other uses aside from producing coffee. They can be used for gardening, repelling insects, and even as pet grooming products. Just by using these supposed waste products, the need to buy some household products can be instantly eliminated. Best of all, the use of coffee grounds is environment-friendly. You better think twice if you plan to throw away your next batch of coffee grounds. Here are 11 of the best reasons why used coffee grounds are worth keeping:
- Compost Material – Coffee grounds fit the standards set by gardeners for compost materials. The grounds, when mixed with soil, release nutrients that make the ground richer and more acidic. Plants that flourish in acidic soil will be healthier since they can get the needed nourishment from the ground. If you have a good supply of coffee grounds, just spread them evenly in your garden. Your plants will reward you by producing robust blooms.
- Pet Grooming Solution – Mix coffee ground extract with some water and the result is a nice grooming solution for pets. After a few rubs, the solution softens your pet’s fur, giving it a nice sheen. Some people even claim that the solution keeps fleas and other parasites off your pet, though it still needs testing for it to be considered a fact.
- Fridge Deodorizer – Storing different types of food inside the fridge can produce a nasty mixture of odors. Remove those pungent smells with a bowl filled with coffee grounds. Place the bowl inside your fridge and your coffee ground deodorizer will gradually absorb all unwanted scents. If your fridge is packed with stored food, just add more grounds and a few drops of vanilla to your deodorizer so that it can absorb more odors.
- No Place for Pet Litter – You can keep your pet from defecating in your garden if you spread a mixture of coffee grounds and orange peels around the area. Your pets will find the scent of the mixture too exotic for their defecating standards.
- Skin Exfoliant – Rubbing your skin with coffee ground extract seems silly but it is actually a good idea. The extract removes dead skin cells, which results in better-looking skin. It can save you hundreds of dollars since this simple product can practically replacesseveral pricey sessions with your dermatologist.
- Shoe Deodorizer – Active people and smelly feet are often associated with each other. Break away from the norm by placing used coffee grounds in your shoes. It will not relieve you of foul-smelling feet, but it will certainly get rid of the evidence. Now, if you want to truly remove foot odor, you can always wash your feet with water and coffee ground extract.
- Hair Shine Solution – Let’s face it, everyone wants to have shiny and bouncy hair. Some people spend significant amounts of cash just to make their hair look better. You can look no further than your supply of used coffee grounds to give you softer and shinier hair. Just wash your hair with the coffee byproduct and rinse. You will soon sport your favorite celebrity hairstyle after a few strokes.
- Ant Repellent – Ants can be annoying, especially if they manage to make their way to your bath towel or clothes. You can avoid these tiny pests by rubbing coffee grounds on your closet. For some reason, ants dislike the scent and the properties of coffee ground extract.
- Fireplace Dust Regulator – Fireplace dust is always a big obstacle for someone who cleans the fireplace. Large dust formations can sting your eyes and irritate your sinuses. They can also make the surrounding areas dirty. To properly regulate dust, you can toss a handful of wet coffee grounds in your fireplace after operation. The wet grounds will hold the dust in place, lessening the appearance of dust clouds when cleaning the fireplace.
- Coloring Ingredient – If you combine coffee ground extract with hot water, you can create brown dye for fabrics, art works and other applications. You can also mix the extract with henna to produce brown-colored henna tattoos.
- Scratch Remover – Coffee ground extract can erase scratches after several forceful scrubs. Its thick slippery base, when coupled with a rug, topples the foundations of most scratches. The scratches eventually fade in the process.
You can use coffee grounds as unconventional product substitutes for many household activities. With their wide variety of uses, you can say that they’re even more useful than their ungrounded counterparts.